- What is Swoon Reads?
- It’s a teen romance imprint under Feiwel and Friends and Macmillan Publishers. It’s also an opportunity for undiscovered writers and avid romance readers to come together and make the stories they love happen. To find out more, head over to our About Us page.
- How does it work?
- We make it easy for authors to submit their manuscripts online. Once uploaded, members are able to read, rate, and comment on the submissions. The manuscripts rated the highest by the largest number of Readers will be reviewed by the Swoon Reads Staff. Those manuscripts considered most Swoonworthy will be published in both print and e-book formats.
- How much does it cost?
- Nothing. Swoon Reads is completely free for both Readers and Writers. There is no fee of any kind attached to membership.
- What’s the deal?
- If your manuscript is chosen for publication, we will offer you a $15,000 advance against royalties in a standard Macmillan publishing contract for all rights in all languages, including an option on your next book.
- Is this an e-only thing?
- No. Every title chosen by Swoon Reads will be published in both a trade paperback print edition and all e-book formats.
- I’m a writer and I’m interested. What kind of manuscripts are you looking for?
- We want irresistible, unforgettable love stories for readers ages 14 and up. Check out our Submission Tips for more information.
- Can I just email my manuscript to you?
- Sorry, but no. Reader ratings and comments are a key part of our decision making process, so all submissions must go through the site. For specific instructions, head over to our Submission Tips page.
- How do you want me to format my novel?
- Great question. Our Submission Tips page will have all the information you need to make it as easy as possible for you to get your work on the site and for readers to enjoy it.
- Is this only for novels or can I submit my short stories and novellas as well?
- Currently, we are only accepting completed, full-length novels, preferably between 50,000 and 70,000 words. We will not accept short stories or queries.
- I’m not really a writer, but I love romance. Do I have to submit something to join?
- No! Readers are just as important to the Swoon Reads community as the writers are. We need readers to rate the submissions and let us know which books are Swoonworthy!
- I’ve already posted my manuscript on another site. Can I still submit it to Swoon Reads?
- Yes! Although we ask that all submissions be exclusive for the length of their time on the site, as long as your manuscript is not, and has never been, under contract to a different publisher, it is eligible for Swoon Reads.
- Do I have to have an agent to submit to Swoon Reads?
- Nope! Taking down some of the barriers to traditional publishing is one of the goals of Swoon Reads. You do not need to have an agent to join or submit.
- I already have an agent. Can I still submit?
- Yes! We also accept agented submissions. However, we do prefer that submissions be exclusive to us for the length of their time on our site; also, the Swoon Read contract terms are standard and not up for negotiation.
- Can I edit my manuscript once it has been posted?
- Sorry, but no. Once a submission has been posted to the site, it will no longer be available for editing. Making significant changes or edits to a manuscript could interfere with the rating and commenting process. Please make sure that you have a finished draft that you are comfortable with before you submit it to the Swoon Reads Community.
- Is my work protected?
- We are doing our best to protect your work from theft and plagiarism. We will not allow cutting, pasting, or copying from any Swoon Reads submission. We also require all members of the Swoon Reads community to agree to a set of Terms and Conditions that legally prohibit anyone from stealing and reposting any content from Swoon Reads. And you must be a member of Swoon Reads to access any of the submissions.
- How does the rating process work?
- After reading a manuscript, we ask you to rate the submission on a scale of 1-5 hearts: Not for me, It’s okay, I like it, I love it, and Swoon-worthy. Then, use the Swoon Index to tell us if it was steamy, a tearjerker, laugh-out-loud funny, or action-packed. All your ratings, reviews, and comments will be collected on your profile page.
- What’s the Swoon Index?
It’s our simple way for Readers to express how stories affected them the most. Was it a tearjerker? Did it make you laugh? Tell us with one click, and instantly see how many of your fellow community members felt the same. It also helps other Readers quickly and easily sort through manuscripts to find something that might suit their mood. And, for Writers, it’s a great way to see if your work is being received the way you intended.
- What is your commenting and moderation policy?
Swoon Reads is a community—a place where writers, readers, and publishers can work together. As such, we value your comments and rely on your input. And we recognize that submitting a manuscript, especially online, takes a great deal of courage. So, in order to ensure a safe and fun space for all, we ask everyone who participates on the site (in manuscripts, comments and profiles) to agree to the following:
- Treat everyone with respect.
- Do not use language that is prejudiced or phobic (including but not limited to comments on: race, sex, sexuality, nationality, ethnicity, religion, class, etc.)
- Do not flame, bait, or otherwise troll the community. The focus of the site is love and romance. Under no circumstances should it be used as a place to insult, demean, slander, or hurt others.
- Keep your comments civil. While we want you to be honest in both your likes and your criticisms, remember that it is possible to dislike something without being nasty and crushing someone’s spirit.
- Keep any disagreements civil, and remember that just because someone disagrees with you, that doesn’t mean they hate you or are a terrible person. Disagree with an idea, not a person.
We believe in community moderation. This is your community as well, and there are a lot more of you than there are of us. If you notice another member breaking the rules, politely ask them to stop, or flag them for moderation from us.
Swoon Reads moderators are the final judges of what constitutes a violation of the rules above and we will take whatever actions are necessary to address misbehavior, including deleting offensive material and banning members.
When in doubt, remember the golden rule: Treat others as you would like to be treated.