My Manuscript Wasn’t Chosen, What Happens Now?Swoon Reads Staff
Now that we’ve made our big announcement, we’re sure that you all have a lot of questions, and we’d like to try to answer a few of them:
A Little Something Different wasn’t the top rated manuscript on the site. How did you choose which books to publish?
1) We looked at the ratings, but since the vast majority of manuscripts on the site have been rated five hearts, we felt that this didn’t really give us a definitive idea of what you were truly enjoying.
2) So, we moved on to reading your comments (which, by the way, are amazing). We made a list of manuscripts with the highest number of comments.
3) Then, we examined the quality of the comments. Were they positive? Were people really talking about the book, or just saying “Hi, good job”?
4) Next, we removed any books that were submitted after our December 31st deadline, or were not the first book in a series (While it’s lovely to be able to read the next book in a series, or even an entire trilogy, we have to start with the first book, and it has to be able to stand alone in the marketplace).
5) This left us with 12 novels, which we then took to the Swoon Reads Editorial Board, headed by Jean Feiwel and Holly West. Each of these books was read by multiple members of the Board and then discussed in an editorial meeting. There had to be a consensus for the novels to make it into the final round.
6) That meeting narrowed the list of 12 down to 3 titles. We held a vote and the Board agreed that all three titles were Swoonworthy and ought to be published.
And, that’s how we chose our first list!
You’ve picked two manuscripts that haven’t been announced yet. Could my book be one of them?
Sorry, but the answer here is no. We’ve already notified and sent contracts to the authors, so if you haven’t heard from us, your manuscript wasn’t chosen for our first list.
My manuscript wasn’t chosen for the first list. What happens now?
Now, you have two options:
1) Leave your manuscript up on the site as a candidate for the second list!
As a publishing imprint, Swoon Reads plans to announce three lists a year, and any manuscript uploaded to the site before midnight EST on April 30, 2014 is eligible for our second list, which will be announced mid-June.
We particularly recommend this for authors who just put their manuscripts up in November and December. Our exclusivity window hasn’t expired yet, and leaving it up gives your work three and a half more months to gather ratings and comments before the deadline closes again and we make our next decision.
2) Take your manuscript off the site and revise it!
We have a wonderful reading community here many of whom have left some pretty great writing advice and suggestions in their comments. If after reading these comments, you have developed a plan to completely revise your manuscript and make it better, then now might be the time to run with it—especially for authors whose manuscripts have been on the site for more than six months, and whose exclusivity window has expired.
If you do choose to take your manuscript down, you will lose all your comments and ratings, so be sure and PRINT your comments out or otherwise save them, so you can refer to them later!
Finally, once you’ve substantially revised your manuscript, remember you are more than welcome to resubmit to the site for a later list – and, as always, we’d love to see any new YA romances you write!
Those were the most pressing questions that we could think of, but if we’ve missed something and you have any other burning questions related to the announcement, please feel free to ask them in the comments below.
Thank you all again, so much, for sharing your work with us and being such a valuable part of the community! This first list is only the beginning and we’re so excited to see what wonderful things you’ll bring us to read next time around!
The Swoon Reads Staff