Swoon Author Danika Stone: Building Online Worlds
If you’ve read All the Feels, you know that Liv has an active online life. There are Starveil fics and fanvids, twitter chats and manips. These online interactions allow readers to inhabit the novel in the same way as the characters, letting you see and experience what Liv’s online life is like. More than that, they exist in real life.
The online world of All the Feels is REAL!
So why is this online marketing so important to publicizing a novel like All the Feels? Because it helps the author reach the readers they need. With this in mind, here are five hints about the ways you can leverage your own story using a little creativity and a LOT of internet awesome!
1. Websites Are the Backbone of Online Marketing: Don’t underestimate the power of a well-designed home-base. Having a website with purchasing links for your books is the best way to share it. Spend time on designing it. If your site looks unprofessional, people will assume the same about you. http://www.danikastone.com/
2. Find Your Fans: What age group is your readership? If you know that, you can set yourself up in the same part of the internet where they are located. Facebook tends to draw older crowds, whereas sites like Tumblr draws younger users. Being available makes it more likely they’ll find you. http://danikastone.tumblr.com/
3. Make It Fun: If your fans go out of their way to find your site, then you should have some kind of reward for their time. This doesn’t need to be fancy. A sneak preview or soundtrack of your book is plenty. http://www.danikastone.com/all-the-feels-resources
4. Get Readers Involved: There are any number of ways to do this—answering questions, doing giveaways, posting bonus materials—and each of them is worthwhile. Why? Because the longer you can keep your site’s visitors engaged, the more likely they’ll be to read your book. So get tweeting! https://twitter.com/Danika_Stone
5. Make It FUN!: Sure, setting up the website can be time-consuming, and adding bonus materials can feel like a thankless job, but when you get down to it, the reason you got into writing was to share your stories. This is your venue. Your FANS! Make all the connections you can and have fun in the process!
· Xander: http://steampunkxander.tumblr.com/
· Brian: http://starveilbrian1981.tumblr.com/
· Kelly: http://spartangrrl.tumblr.com/
· @JoesWoes – AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/users/joeswoes
· @Spartangrrl – AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/users/spartangrrl
· @StarveilBrian1981 – AO3: http://archiveofourown.org/users/starveilbrian1981 (Brian has posted no stories, but he can be found in the comments.)
· @LivOutLoud – AO3: (Same with Liv, as she’s a vidder.) http://archiveofourown.org/users/LivOutLoud/
· @JoesWoes – ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~joeswoes
· @Spartangrrl – ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~spartangrrl
· @StarveilBrian1981 – ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~starveilbrian1981 (Again, Brian can be found in the comments.)
· @LivOutLoud – ff.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/~livoutloudstarveil (Same with Liv.)