So, your manuscript is finished, and you’re ready to share it with readers everywhere. Check out the tips below to make sure your manuscript fits our criteria and is formatted to perfection, and to create a cover that does your book justice. Once you’re all set, take a deep breath, and upload your masterpiece – we can’t wait to swoon over it!
What are we looking for?
In short: unforgettable, previously unpublished young adult and new adult stories.
Swoon Reads novels ideally feature protagonists between the ages of 14 and 23. They can be set anytime, anywhere, and can be anything you want—realistic, supernatural, historical, and more. Head on over to our Genre Guide for the full rundown!
Still want more info on what makes a young adult or new adult novel? Check out our blog.
We only accept original, completed novels preferably between 50,000-70,000 words. Here are some other important things to note:
- We only accept original, completed novels preferably between 50,000-70,000 words. Here are some other important things to note:
- All submitted manuscripts must be original works and no less than 45,000 words
- All submissions will be exclusive to Swoon Reads for 6 months
- Manuscripts must never have been available for sale, and must not be made available for sale elsewhere during the 6-month exclusivity period on Swoon Reads
- Manuscripts must not be under consideration for sale by any third party during the exclusivity period
Manuscripts that are chosen for publication will be offered a $10,000 publishing contract with Macmillan.
See our full list of Terms & Conditions.
Formatting Your Manuscript
Our eReader supports either Microsoft Word or Google Docs saved out in .docx format. To help your manuscript look its best in our eReader, you’ll need to use the style setting functionality on Microsoft Word or Google Docs. Not sure how to do that? Here are some easy-to-follow steps.
Highlight your chapter titles and set the styles setting to Heading 1.
After uploading, you’ll have the chance to preview your work! You can make sure nothing is missing and that you’re happy with how it looks.
Uploading Your Cover
Now that you’ve written a great book, you need a cover to match! Choose one of these two options:
Use our default Swoon Reads Cover You can use our auto-generated cover, and entice readers with a strong title and compelling book description.
Create a Custom Cover Creating a cover isn’t just for our graphic designer friends. Download our PSD Cover Template or use these simple tools to personalize your story.
- Cover image: Explore websites like StockSnap.io, Unsplash, or Pexels for some fantastic free photographs to choose from.
- Typography: If you need a great font to go with your cover image, check out Dafont and Google Fonts for a wide selection of free fonts.
- Putting it together: When you’re ready to create your cover, Fotor.com is a free photo-editing tool that makes it easy to combine image and text. Or if you’re a whizz with Photoshop, you can download our cover template to use as a guide.