Submission of Your Manuscript
- All Manuscripts submitted: a) must be original works of book length (no less than 45,000 words) written in the English language; b) must be written solely by the registered user submitting the work; c) must not violate any right of any third party or be libelous; d) MUST NEVER HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE FOR SALE AND MUST NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE DURING THE 6 MONTH EXCLUSIVITY PERIOD ON SWOON READS; e) must not be under consideration for sale by any third party (e.g. publisher, retailer, website) during the exclusive period and f) must follow these rules and guidelines.
- Employees, and members of their immediate families living in the same household, of SWOON READS (or a parent, subsidiary, or affiliate of either of them) are not eligible to submit Manuscripts.
- BY SUBMITTING YOUR MANUSCRIPT, YOU ARE GRANTING SWOON READS PERMISSION TO USE, REPRODUCE, DISTRIBUTE, AND DISPLAY YOUR MANUSCRIPT ON THE SITE AND TO CONSIDER YOUR MANUSCRIPT FOR PUBLICATION ON AN EXCLUSIVE, WORLDWIDE BASIS, WITHOUT CHARGE. SUCH PERMISSION REMAINS EXCLUSIVE FOR SIX MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF SUBMISSION AND IS NON-EXCLUSIVE THEREAFTER. However, SWOON READS is not obligated to post your submitted Manuscript to the site; we may post or remove submitted Manuscripts at any time in our sole discretion.During the six months after the date on which you submit your Manuscript, you agree that you will: a) not publish, or permit publication by a third party of, all or any part of your Manuscript in any form or medium, including without limitation in print, e-book or audiobook format, or on or through any other website or social media platform; b) not enter into discussions with or offer any rights to any third party for publication of your Manuscript in any form or medium. However, you may display a limited portion of your Manuscript, not to exceed the shorter of one chapter or 4,000 words, on your own website or social media page. After the end of six months from the date on which you submit your Manuscript, you will have the right to request that SWOON READS remove your Manuscript from this site, and you will be free to publish your Manuscript, and offer it for publication to third parties, at your own discretion.
- If your Manuscript is being considered by SWOON READS for publication, it may be removed from the site in our sole discretion. If SWOON READS declines your Manuscript, your Manuscript may be removed from the site. Further, we may periodically remove lower-rated manuscripts, on a schedule determined by us in our sole discretion.
- If SWOON READS does not post your Manuscript to the site within thirty (30) days after it receives your submission, or if SWOON READS removes your Manuscript from the site for any reason prior to the expiration of six months from the submission date (other than in the case of temporary, technical unavailability), then your permission to SWOON READS set forth in paragraph 5 above will no longer be on an exclusive basis.
- Only three Manuscript entries are permitted per writer for consideration at any given time.
- To enter, you must complete the online “Submit Your Manuscript” form and upload an electronic file of your Manuscript. The entry form will allow you to upload one manuscript and one cover, in electronic format. Only electronic submissions, uploaded through the online submission form, will be considered; do not mail or e-mail your manuscript submissions to SWOON READS.
- Manuscripts must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents (.docx). All manuscripts must follow formatting guidelines as set forth on the ‘Submit” page. All manuscripts must be saved as "Manuscript Title – Registered User Name.
- No manuscripts with interior images (any images within the word document) will be accepted for consideration.
- You should keep a copy of your Manuscript(s) for your own protection. We will not be liable for loss of your Manuscript.
- No critical evaluation or commentary will be offered by the editorial staff of SWOON READS unless, in the sole opinion of the editorial staff, evaluation or commentary is appropriate in the case of a Manuscript being considered for publication.
- In case of dispute as to the identity of a registered user who submits a Manuscript, SWOON READS will have the right to assume that the user is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address provided to SWOON READS. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as a natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
Selection of Manuscripts for Publication
Manuscripts may be chosen for publication at the sole discretion of SWOON READS staff. SWOON READS staff may take user comments and ratings into account in choosing Manuscripts for publication, but is under no obligation to do so. Factors taken into account by SWOON READS editors may include, without limitation, the originality, creativity and writing skill of the submission. The decision of the editors as to which Manuscripts are selected for publication and which are not is final. SWOON READS is under no obligation to publish any, or any particular number of, submitted Manuscripts.
If a Manuscript is selected for publication, SWOON READS will offer to enter into its standard form of author's agreement with the author for publication of the Manuscript. Our standard terms include, without limitation, a grant to us of exclusive, worldwide rights in all languages, and an option on your next work. If an author is a minor in his or her place of residence, then we will only discuss publication with the author’s parent or legal guardian, and the author’s agreement, if agreed to by both parties, must be signed by the author’s parent or legal guardian. IF YOU ARE A MINOR, YOU AGREE TO PROVIDE US WITH YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN’S CURRENT, ACCURATE CONTACT INFORMATION UPON REQUEST. After execution of the standard form author's agreement by both parties, the author will receive an advance against future royalties of $10,000.
THE AUTHOR OF A SELECTED MANUSCRIPT WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY PART OF THE ADVANCE UNTIL THE STANDARD FORM AUTHOR'S AGREEMENT HAS BEEN EXECUTED BY BOTH PARTIES. Those terms of the author’s agreement not specified in the printed text of the SWOON READS standard form will be determined by SWOON READS at its sole discretion. Reasonable changes in the offered terms may be requested, but SWOON READS shall not be obligated to agree to any such changes.